Be Prepared With These Summer Electrical Safety Tips
Date Posted: 05/16/16
Author: volt Pro Electric
As nature would have it, Colorado sees its fair share of fires along the front range during the summertime. While there isn't much you can do about the frequent lightening strikes, dry weather, and other perfect fire conditions, there are steps you can take to keep your home and family safe. Follow these summer electrical safety tips to make sure you and yours stay safe during this beautiful Colorado summer.
Summer Electrical Safety Tips
For the Kids
- Make sure you are teaching your children that water and electricity don't mix! Any electrical toys that they have should be kept far, far away from water. This isn't just pools and bathtubs, it's sprinklers and sinks as well.
- If your child is wet, make sure they know not to touch any electrical objects (toys included!) until they dry off. Electricity travels quickly through water and can cause serious injury.
- Flying kites is a traditional summertime activity, especially here in Colorado where we get such strong winds in the summer! However, if it is storming or looks like it is going to storm, make sure your kids keep their kites put away (and baseball bats and any other electricity conductors)
- Talk to your children frequently about these summer electrical safety tips-it could save their lives.
For the Adults
- Do your due diligence around the house and pools (if applicable). Make sure you ground any electrical connections to your pool and contact a local electrician if you have any questions or concerns about these connections.
- Where is your circuit breaker? Knowing where this is located and how to turn it off is important to being able to prevent an emergency from escalating.
- Chances are you are using a lot of electricity around this time. With all the BBQ's you have planned, music to be plugged in, and summertime mood lighting to display it is important not plug in any frayed electrical cords.
- If you think something might not be safe, it is a good idea to check with your local electrician to make sure that you are up to speed on your summer electrical safety tips.
Electrical Safety in General
- Never yank out a plug.
- Never staple a wire - use tape or a tie.
- Cover electrical outlets when small children are around.
- Keep electrical panels properly serviced.
Were you familiar with all of the tips on this list? Doing your due diligence around your home and educating your children on electrical safety is important to prevent fires, injury, even death. Don't head into the summertime season this year without making sure you are properly protecting yourself and your family.
For more electrical safety tips visit 5 Home Electric Safety Tips Everyone Should Know.
Call us today for an electrical inspection at 303-249-2972